Watercolour is beyond an art supply. It’s a bunch of feelings in a palette.
I have stood at my studio table weeping tears of wonder and astonishment as I watch what they are capable of.
What they make me capable of.
So, when the opportunity came up for me to collaborate with the makers of some of the wildest, craziest, free-est paints ever created, the planet stopped spinning for just a moment.
Daniel Smith are master colourists. They make deliriously delicious paints. They collaborate with a handful of master artists to create their wonderful Dot Try It cards.
I am now one of them.
(Did the planet just stop spinning again? Just for a second?).
When I got the chance to select my favourites for my own Dot card, well, it was exciting – but also VERY hard work! Each Dot card contains samples of the finest watercolour paint for you to actually try out for yourself! I deliberated and took great pains over creating my collection…
- The hues I have selected for my dot palette have all the seductive and unpredictable charm of a mermaid:
- (We have them in my store so you can see more about each colour too!)
- Buff Titanium ( use as a base)
- Iridescent Topaz ( mermaid scales people – mermaid scales!)
- Hematite Violet ( such a joy to use for capturing the fine skin around eyes.)
- Potters Pink ( the way this colour granulates! )
- Naphthamide Maroon (deep red for lips and the deepest part of tearducts)
- Rhodenite Genuine ( life isn’t complete without some outrageous pink is it?)
- Shadow Violet ( a glaze of this tames colours)
- Moonglow ( this watercolour defies decription – it is heavenly!)
- Amethyst Genuine ( it packs it’s own heart-of-darkness)
- Kyanite Genuine ( possibly my most used colour)
- Sodalite Genuine ( vies for most used colour with Kyanite!)
- Lunar Blue ( starts of indigo… andthen turquoise and cobolt creeps in as the colour develops !)
- Sleeping Beauty Turquoise (actual crushed turquoise from Sleeping Beauty Mountain in Arizona!)
- Phthalo Turquoise ( no words needed)
- Amazonite Genuine ( just like the namesake – this green-blue stands above all others!
- Serpentine Genuine ( this is Australian! It separates into two lively greens!)
- Fuschite Genuine ( a natural wonder)
- Cascade Green ( a sage green sea that harbours a turquoise lake within it. This will make no sense until you have used this watercolour for yourself.)
My favourite Daniel Smith watercolors are an invitation to play.
They make amazing watermarks.
Each brushstroke is a beautiful, fascinating adventure.
They do not behave.
They are bohemian gypsies on an adventure.
By using art materials that allow me to enjoy the process so much, ideas can roam free, inspiration and imagination bubble to the surface and I create art that I love with ease. I don’t have to worry about being an ‘expert’, or creating a perfect drawing first. I just dive right in with a smile on my face.
I consider these colours ‘alive’ because they do so much movement on their own, which makes them so exciting to use.
For the time-being , you can only get the Dot card on my store site when you order some of these delectable watercolours!
That’s my news. My exciting, fabulous news.